History

History of the Area

Camperdown is an inner western suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales. It is located 4 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district and is part of the Inner West region.

The area was an early estate located between Grose Farm (along Orphan School Creek, which was earlier called Grose Farm Creek) on its eastern side, and Johnson's Creek to the west. 

The hill to the east side of Orphan School Creek, upon which the building of the University of Sydney was commenced, was earlier known as Petersham Hill. 

At the southern part of the original Camperdown, the town of Newtown began to grow. That is where the highest part of the topography occurs, at St Stephens Church hill. 

Some of the first settlement was along Orphan School Creek valley in 1793, when nine huts were built for convict labourers who began felling trees for timber production for use in Sydney town. By 1819 the enlarged government 'stockade' here (perhaps near the position of the "watch house" , or near where St John's College now stands) was able to accommodate over 100 convict workers. 

After 1801, the Female Orphan Institution of Sydney was granted lease holding income provision from much of this land. 

In 1806 the western portion was granted to William Bligh after his arrival as new Governor . Bligh named his grant Camperdown. 

In 1827, a racecourse was opened on land where the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital now stands. The University of Sydney was incorporated in 1850, its first buildings were designed by Edmund Blacket 

The Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children hospital opened in 1880 in Glebe Point as the Sydney Hospital for Sick Children by a group of concerned citizens worried about the health of the younger members of society in New South Wales. It soon out-grew the small building in which it was housed and had to move in 1906 to Camperdown, where it stayed for 89 years before relocating to its current location of Westmead in 1995 to better serve the growing population of western Sydney.  

The hospital buildings and grounds have been redeveloped into apartment complexes known as the City Quarter
 
(History above sourced from Wikipedia)



Andrea Robertson (1948-2015)

A history of City Quarter would not be complete without mentioning Andrea. In 2004 she moved into the precinct from nearby Hereford Street bringing with her information of the area and the hospital as it was.

Immediately Andrea threw herself into community affairs and was Chair of her Strata and the Community Association for many years. She had the vision of a true community rather than a group of buildings bundled together and she worked with developers to achieve this. Her drive and initiative ensured the building of the pools, gyms and village green we enjoy today. 

Andrea's sudden death in April, 2015 deeply saddened the community. Her efforts here are seen everywhere we look and she has set in place high standards and much to which we residents can aspire. 

The best way we can maintain Andrea's memory is to take good care of City Quarter.

A memorial plaque in Andrea's honour was unveiled on the Village Green on August 16, 2015.
"inspirational within this community"